Do you want to solve business challenges through innovative technology? Do you enjoy working on cutting-edge, scalable services technology in a team environment? Do you like working on industry-defining projects that move the needle?
At Amazon, they hire the best minds in technology to innovate and build on behalf of their customers. The intense focus they have on their customers is why they are one of the world’s most beloved brands – customer obsession is part of their company DNA.
The Amazon (Software Development Engineer) Recruitment Bursary was launched in 2018 by Amazon Development Centre for people from previously disadvantaged backgrounds. Successful applicants will receive funding from Amazon to cover tuition fees, accommodation and additional academic costs. Additionally, successful applicants complete a paid formal Amazon internship (in summer vacation) during which applicants are assessed for a full-time permanent Software Development Engineer (SDE) role. Amazon is a place where motivated employees thrive and where employee ownership and accountability lead to meaningful results.
The Amazon Recruitment Bursary will cover the costs (capped) of the following:
- Residence/private accommodation
- Stationery and books
- A personal computer
SDEs at Amazon work on real-world problems on a global scale with cutting-edge technology, and develop critical products for their customers. SDEs own systems end-to-end; they design, build and test high-quality software solutions, and help influence the direction of technology that delights hundreds of millions of customers around the world. Amazon SDE interns write real software – interns’ design, code, and raw smarts contribute to solving some of the most complex technical challenges in the areas of distributed systems, data mining, automation, optimization, scalability, and security – just to name a few.
Amazon SDE Internship
As an Amazon SDE intern, you will have the chance to demonstrate your skills and add real value through the ownership and delivery of an impactful project that matters to their customers. Throughout the internship, you will engage and learn from other Amazonians, expand your network, and have access to training opportunities and social events for both your personal and professional development. Amazon will assess your performance throughout the internship with the prospect to offer successful interns a full-time permanent role to start upon completion of your studies.
Who Can Apply – Eligibility Criteria
StudyTrust, on behalf of Amazon, invites current Undergraduate students entering into their final year of a three OR four-year Undergraduate degree (who will continue studying for an honours degree in 2025, after completing the internship) with a keen interest in Amazon and software development engineering, to apply for this Bursary Programme.
Important: Please ensure you meet the following eligibility criteria before submitting your application:
- Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Information Technology, Information Systems.
- Year level: Entering into the final year of Undergraduate (3rd year of a three-year degree OR 4th year of a four-year degree programme).
- Must be returning to education to complete an Honours degree in 2025.
- South African universities only.
- Current students who are consistently obtaining an average of 65% and above.
Career Plans & Motivations:
- Applicants must display a clear motivation for Amazon, the field of software development engineering, and are seeking an opportunity to be assessed for a full-time permanent role to start upon completion of their studies.
- Successful applicants must complete an internship (during summer vacation), and participate in training opportunities at Amazon.
Successful applicants must commit to accepting a full-time permanent role if an offer is extended following the internship assessment.
- Full-time roles start after completion of studies and applicants must commit to working in their full-time role for the equivalent number of years funded.
- Only applications from South African citizens will be considered.
How to Apply
- Applications open on 1 June and close on 10 September. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis, throughout the application timeline above.
- Complete your application on StudyTrust’s online platform before the closing date of 10 September to be considered for a bursary to begin in 2024.
- After submitting an application via StudyTrust, shortlisted candidates will undergo an additional assessment with Amazon.
- Carefully read the instructions on the Bursary Applications page before beginning your application.