The Mining Qualifications Authority (MQA) is a Sector Education and Training Authority (SETA) for the Mining and Minerals Sector in terms of the Skills Development Act No. 97 of 1998.
The MQA would like to invite learners who are presently in grade 12 or already studying at a public university, university of technology or a TVET college to apply for a MQA bursary for the 2024 academic year of study.
A total of 1000 bursary opportunities will be available for the 2024 academic year.
The bursary will cover tuition fees and allowances for accommodation, books, and meals.
NB: The bursary is ONLY available to South African citizens.
The MQA bursary scheme focuses on funding the following qualifications at universities, universities of technology, and TVET Colleges as indicated below.
However, the MQA may allocate 20% of the total bursary allocations for the 2024 academic year for qualifications which are not listed below, which the MQA may deem as qualifications necessary for the mining and minerals sector.
Qualifications funded at universities and universities of technology:
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Jewellery Design and Manufacturing
- Mining Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mine Survey
- Electrical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Environmental Health and Management
- Analytical Chemistry
- Electro-Mechanical Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Occupational Hygiene
- Occupational Medicine
- Operations Management
- Quality Management
Qualifications funded at TVET colleges:
- Motor Mechanic (Diesel)
- Fitting (including Machinery)
- Instrumentation Mechanic
- Fitter and Turner
- Rigger Ropes Man
Preference will be given to the following aspects in the selection of candidates:
- Historically Disadvantage Individuals (HDI) applicants.
- Financially needy applicants with a combined household income of not more than R600 000 per annum. The household income will be verified by MQA, and misrepresentation of the household income will disqualify the application.
- Female applicants.
- Applicants living in rural communities.
- Applicants who have applied to study at their local tertiary institutions.
- Candidates with a strong academic record.
The application period has been extended from 06 to 20 October 2023.
Late applications will not be considered.
To qualify for the bursary, the applicant must be unemployed at the time of the application and must remain unemployed for the duration of his/her studies.
The completed application form and supporting documents must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only applications received at the above e-mail address will be considered.
Please note that communication will be limited to successful applicants only. If you have not received any communication from the MQA by 30 November 2023, then please consider your application as being unsuccessful.
Further information regarding the bursary application process can also be obtained from the following MQA Regional Offices:
- 7 Anerley Road, Parktown. Tel: 011 547 2600
- King Sabatha Dalindyebo TVET College, R61 Queenstown Road, Cicira Village, Mthatha. Tel: 047 505 1063
- Goldfields TVET College, 14107 Ndaki Road, Tosa Campus, Thabong, Tel: 087 095 0266
- Nkangala TVET College, Mpondozamkomo Campus, 1 Moses Kotane Drive, Ferrobank. Tel: 013 696 8120 / 2121
- Sekhukhune TVET College, CN Phathudi Campus, Stand No. 2659, Praktiseer. Tel: 087 095 0267
- Old Shopping Complex , 53 Karee Street, Mooinooi. Tel: 014 555 8860
- Northern Cape Rural TVET College, Kathu Campus, Hans Coetzee Drive, Kathu. Tel: 053 723 0100